Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fiber Optic dedicated server
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:50 am 
Marksman
Marksman

I have access to a server connected directly to fiber optic lines running through Dalas, Texas.

Now to run multiple dedicated game servers, about how many should I run per computer, asuming all player slots have connections 24 hours a day, once I get this figured out I will start a gameserver hosting company.

Next, I know there are tricks to makeing a dedicated server run greate, such as setting max frame rates and minimum pings, so that the data stream just does not take the shortest path to the strongest connection and lag the rest of the players, please type below what commands would or should I have on a game server with 16 players, so that everyone will have good and smooth unlagged gameplay, please reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 pm 
Master
Master

lets hope "our" admins will give you some tips and links. i never runed a populated public tc:e server therefore can not speak how to do it =)

Post subject: Re: Fiber Optic dedicated server
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:33 am 
Master
Master

Rct. Tsoul wrote:
Now to run multiple dedicated game servers, about how many should I run per computer, asuming all player slots have connections 24 hours a day, once I get this figured out I will start a gameserver hosting company.

that depends on your computers, the server settings(# of slots)... any decent pc should be easily able to handle 5 et/tce servers, if u have enough ram and a good pc, >10 are possible without problems as well since et servers dont have high system requirements.
im not sure though if starting a hosting company for ET/TCE would be a good idea. tce doesnt really need more server tbh, there are plenty, and i dont see the demand in ET anymore either...

Rct. Tsoul wrote:
Next, I know there are tricks to makeing a dedicated server run greate, such as setting max frame rates and minimum pings, so that the data stream just does not take the shortest path to the strongest connection and lag the rest of the players

in tce you usually dont set minimum pings. this isnt cod mw2 where a host is picked and thus has a big advantage. the server has the ability to give everyone a good ping depending on the distance from client to server(nowadays the i-net speed isnt important anymore coz basically everyone has probably at least 1mb/s^^). obviously players close to the server's location will have a lot lower pings then for example players from europe, but you cant help that. max pings can be set but unless you wanna exclude whole continents(which is not recommended) i wouldnt do it.
restricting the max fps for the clients normally happens via punkbuster restrictions e.g. pb_sv_cvar com_maxfps in 45 125 which specifies the valid fps range of 45-125fps to avoid buggy gameplay/engine exploits for too low or too high fps.
u cant really do anything wrong with tce servers, they are simple^^
some settings:
set sv_maxRate "25000"
set sv_dl_maxRate "100000"
set sv_allowDownload "1"
set snaps 40
set sv_timeout "360"
set g_antilag "1"
set sv_floodProtect "1"
set sv_minping "0"
set sv_maxping "0"
set sv_fps "30"
i assume u have some server config already, if not then tell me some settings u wanna have (gametype, timelimit, custom maps/files?,...) and i'll set up a config.

*Clan Movie #2*|xfire: snakes3k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 am 
Marksman
Marksman

The game server will also have Quake3 on it, witch is still going strong.
What would you recommend as far as prossessor, ram running on Windows server 2003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:32 am 
Master
Master

well processor would ideally be one made for servers like a xeon or maybe the new i7, guess 3ghz should be good to run quite a few servers(in general dual/quadcores are better for gameservers, especially with multiple servers on one pc). but i guess a lower dualcore would do a decent job as well(>2.4ghz, shouldnt be too difficult to overclock some old cpu's :wink: ).
ram depends mainly on how many server you intend to run and how stable, i'd recommend 4gb, 10 servers should be no problem).
windows2003 is ok but if u have experience with linux , go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 pm 
Master
Master

Also don't forget for control panel like http://www.tcadmin.com/ is the best u can get :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:00 am 
Marksman
Marksman

That is the thing, how do you get the server to utilize the second processor, I am looking for cost effectiveness without spending overkill, like I dont want to spend 3X the amount just to incress server power by 5%, If so I can buy 3 cheaper computers and run 30 servers vs. 12.

So far I got:
4 GIG's
Lunux

what else.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:34 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Tried running a server on Windows7 , ether TCE is different from Quake3 or windows7 is *i-need-a-broader-vocab* up, When I run a dedicated server on my own computer, I cannot connect to it, or the server is *i-need-a-broader-vocab* up and dont know how to run one.

Please tell me below how to run a server on my computer with a double-click

give me a command line that will be in the shortcut eg.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" +set fs_game tcetest +set dedicated 2 +exec serverctf.cfg

and please attach a server.cfg below ( with map rotation )
and another one for CTF ( with map rotation )

My main concern will be running CTF and its maps and anything ported over from the original TC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Master
Master

make sure to run tce/the server as admin (right-click run as admin) or disable the user account control.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ETDED.exe" +set fs_game tcetest +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg +exec maps.cfg +set sv_punkbuster 1"
try that with the cfgs below

you can use these cfgs, just need to edit some obvious things like rconpw servername,... and also add your maps in the maps int he maps.cfg (just replace the official ones or add new maps with the same syntax(map7...)
server.cfg
maps.cfg

if you're tying to connect to a local server try:
/connect 127.0.0.1 (or the ip of your servers,...)

Last edited by SnaKeS3K on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 pm 
Master
Master

if you are trying to connect to dedic server made on your machine at server browser pick Source: Local as seen here:

Last edited by $omator on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 am 
Rock Me, Amadeus!
Rock Me, Amadeus!

$omator wrote:
if you are trying to connect to dedic server made on your machine at server browser pick Source: Local as seen here:

that is a mouse over host game pic, no source local :wink: