Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: too few people playing...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hi,

i recently had some issues with joining certain servers. in particular these are:
- ALPHA FREE 0.223 Server
- TC:CQB massa.com

> game starts >loading screen appears > progressbar goes to 100% , and then... nothing!
All you can do is hit the ESC key to go back to the main menu.

The strange Thing is, that I am not the only one who encounters this behaviour. 2 of my buddies have the same problems with theese 2 servers. One has WIndows 7, the other is using a Debian Lenny System, while I encounter these issues under Debian Lenny, Win XP and Linux Mint 11 by myself.

So ... together with coroner's blog entry, mentioning that too few people are playing and the fact that you could allways find someone to battle with in the past , at least on the ALPHA FREE Server, ... i come to the conclousion that something with theese servers must have went wrong and I would like to know if someone else encounters the described conncetion problems.

I think it is important to rule out, if no one is playing because the game doen't attract the people ( any more ?) , or if there are issues with theese popular servers and the server admins have to be informed to fix things.

Please share your expierence!

greetings from germany
JagdKampf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

As I have mentioned in other previous posts, the fact of having a single map and a unique set of weapons made ​​the game boring. I think what led the TC: E 0.49 to grow in its good times was precisely the possibility of producing custom content for server admins (I'm talking about weapons, maps and sounds). We all know that TC: CQB is still under development, and customized content by the community could put at risk the gameplay (or not ...). I think the fact that there isn't an official SDK for it took the initial impetus of community to continue playing, just because they can not contribute to the development. I think if the Coroner really want more movement and contributions regarding the development of the CQB, he will need open the game development to the community, offering at least a content development kit for the game, even if the content produced needs to go through his grate before entering the set of official content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:42 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

How does a unique set of weapon make the game boring?
Apart from that I mostly agree with you... But, at least for me, it has to do in part with the game-play - with the slower TR-ish feel and the spawning system (no offense Coroner, I deeply respect your work on the project). To clarify, with the slower feel and game-play style that it encourages it make a lot of sense to me to have a game-mode / spawn-in system that reflects the style (like how the old BC worked, two teams trying to "push" across the map or a limited-lives breach and clear style [like SWAT4] with small short maps [I think this would be really fun]). The way it is now, you cannot be as "tactical" with your team, because as soon as you get anywhere someone spawns in elsewhere, which leads to longer (especially when there's only two-four of you) and more chaotic hunts, which isn't as fun given the game-play style (it <i>might</i> have worked in TC:E). Those are just my thoughts though, from someone who mostly plays single-player or same LAN games outside of TC:E and now TC:CQB.
I don't remember ever having had issue with servers, but I've been busy and haven't had much time to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

nice guys, i've asked if someone had the same technical issues like i do - and all you came up with is this principle debate about the game itself .... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:03 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I said I haven't had any technical issue like that (but a better installer would be nice), although at one point though I know ALPHA FREE server had some really atrocious custom content that made it basically unplayable. I'll try connecting to those servers later today and see if I have any issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 pm 
Master
Master

There really isn't an excuse for people not playing TC:E anymore. It's just as fun now as it was last year or the year before. The only reason I can think of is that Coroner is back. How does that effect the gameplay?

So many die hard fans of TC:E it makes you wonder why they all have stopped playing.

Maybe people are refusing to play because they want a patch for TC:E?

Maybe people are tired of just one map for CQB?

It's anyone's guess. But it happened before and it will happen again.

For those of us who remember how fun TC for Quake 3 was and we couldn't dream it would ever die.

What you see when a gaming community thrives is a complete Dev Team and frequent updates to the actual game/mod.

One last thing, the less interest we show, is usually how much interest the developer(S) show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

JagdKampf wrote:
nice guys, i've asked if someone had the same technical issues like i do - and all you came up with is this principle debate about the game itself .... :roll:

I'm sorry, but you asked about technical issues AND why people aren't playing CQB, so the answers yet are still in same line that your question, in my modest opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Stealth wrote:
There really isn't an excuse for people not playing TC:E anymore. It's just as fun now as it was last year or the year before. The only reason I can think of is that Coroner is back. How does that effect the gameplay?

When did we jump to the lack of playership on TC:E or the gameplay of TC:E changing? The whole idea of this thread was TC:CQB and no one had really mentioned anything about TC:E, but your statement seems to presume the conversation about TC:E already happening... I'm confused.

Maybe they have gone on to newer and "better" games, or lost the time/interest for a small dying game, that seems the most likely to me. How would refusing to play do anything to get a patch, it just wouldn't make sense. Anyway, this is entirely off-topic now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:50 am 
Master
Master

please don't blow your wad on my account. everything that has been said here in this thread is relevant to the subject matter whether you think so or not......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:20 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hi all,

well, maybee my initial post wasn't formulated that right, but i realy thought the servers remain empty because of some technical issues. But your answers speak a differn't language :wink: .As english isn't my native language, i apologize for that.

I hope that more people will come back , if the new patch is released.
Quote:
Beep.

Just to share a sign of life.

RL was quite busy and development almost stopped during the last months. I've added two mag fed shotguns, USAS 12 and Saiga 12C and the MAC compile chain is established (Intel only).
I have to finish killhouse and to add KAC PDW, G36C, AKSU-74, and Galil. The current SCAR-L will get a standard barrel as counterpart of the Galil and the G36C will counter the current short barreled SIG.
That's the final weapon selection then.

I hope the new patch will also solve the technical problems my budies and i encountered, because the server admins are forced to restart their servers when they install the new game version :lol: , and for that reason, are forced to pay a little of the attention that this great FREE game with all of its potential realy deserves!

Thank all of you, for your answers, but i didn't wanted to start yet another of the
"coroner-you-have-to-do-this- you-have-to-do-that-what-so-ever-CQB-philosophy" threads.
As for my part this thread can be closed.

Greetings from Germany
JagdKampf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

Btw, I did connect fine to the "FREE blah" server but I couldn't see the MASSA one so I can't test that one for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am 
Expert
Expert

i've totally forgotten about this game :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:48 pm 
Master
Master

one map is clearly too short + oldschool players might be tired of actual maps, oldschool players could have stoped playing at all (that's my case due to work) + new players might not even know truecombat concept.

btw a lil hello to all of those i know i hope all is going well in your lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 pm 
Master
Master

Why nobody is playing the game?
The answers are rather varying but mostly they are one or more of the following:
* There is only 1 map
* The player doesn't like the new CQB gameplay (like the perk system, movement etc.)
* The alpha version of THIS mod isn't very popular!

What's the matter with the Massa and ALPHA FREE... servers?

I do trust the Massa server and I never had problems with it, but I've lost interest in the other server due to it having previously enabled console cheats, having the aim-bug, poorly developed/implented community weapons. The ALPHA FREE... server always was rather buggy for me.

! Once playing TC:E after TC:CQB mentioning in the chat I haven't played TC:E for a time and have been playing the CQB mostly, some players didn't even know what is TC:CQB or that the alpha version of the game is already released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:03 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Haraldzz wrote:
! Once playing TC:E after TC:CQB mentioning in the chat I haven't played TC:E for a time and have been playing the CQB mostly, some players didn't even know what is TC:CQB or that the alpha version of the game is already released.

thats why there should be a notification on the startup or menu that announces an update to download,