All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Unlocked CQB
YES 92%  92%  [ 33 ]
NO 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: CLOSE QUARTERS BATTLE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:16 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hey Coroner,

As far as I know, it's not common to find people in servers for TC:E anymore but I believe there are people who check the forums periodically for any update.

At least speaking for myself, still my favourite game and will be on the lookout for anything that gets released.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
The visual style of TC is cool as it is. Maybe it's just me with this opinion.

Yeah it is good enough but "sound engine" is pretty outdated.We really need some updates like stereo support waves/wav/ogg for all game files. I do not even dream about dynamic compression, high-low filters etc...
Quote:
How is the situation with ETL
? I am not following anymore since they are stuck at low prioroty bullshit, necessary things are still not fixed, no newer builds. I am not crying, people have no time.
Quote:
Are there still master servers for ET?
Yes, there are even active tc players [ i hope ]

Quote:
Are there still ppl out who would care?

Me, if something will move forward, whatever what. Me, if we have constant communication.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:08 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hi coroner, nice to hear you.

coroner wrote:
On my CPU (Core 2 duo) (ET is still using the CPU for part of the graphics transformations) the framerate drops dramatically with more then 2 players in the view. That might be less of a problem with newer CPUs which easily double the FPU power in one core.

I didn't make any test about but i'm afraid there is some other problem.
The low fps using the new model is strange to me... teorically two new player model in scene is the same to have four old player model.
Original player model --> tris 1268, verts 875
New player model --> tris 3042, verts 1614
There is some way to know the tris and verts of the mesh model player when is handle by the et engine?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:08 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

In dev mode we you can use the r_speeds command to get information of tris etc but only for the whole scene. You have to compare with a and without player in the scene then. Maybe in a small box room test map which does not have to much other geometry.

At least on my machine, I guess, I run into problems in cqb_sample with the new player models and with the new weapon models because the overall polycount reaches ET's limits for my CPU.
As far as I know all animation transformations of the player model are also done on the CPU and then transferred to the graphics card so there might be an additional bottleneck with polycount on animated models.
Anyhow it might be less of a problem with newer CPUs/machines or the overall polycount of the viewweapon and maps like cqb_sample just reaches some limits and we have to consider that.

In a critical scene I have around 62000 verts in spectator (that is without viewweapon) without entities (players and stuff) drawn. When I let the players draw (multiple in the view) this can easily add up to 100000 which drops me to 30 frames. I a real game also the viewweapon can add another 5000-10000.

I suspect that some world models for the weapons (at least the Sig) have no low poly version in the pak I am currently using. I think it is some weapon dev pak from Yourself.
That might also add.

Great work on the new playermodels anyway, Marze!

Cheers, cor

Last edited by coroner on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:15 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Would this have anything to do with the r_primitives that I have to use if I don't want to be stuck at 20-30 fps (up to 90 if I stare point-blank at a wall) on an i5-4690K?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 am 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
I suspect that some world models for the weapons (at least the Sig) have no low poly version in the pak I am currently using. I think it is some weapon dev pak from Yourself.

Yeah, not only sg552, there are many world models just rescaled from new v_weapons, i made those to test 3rd person look test, we can always step back to old world models or just remake them.
Coro, try to make the benchmark again but use stock et.exe instead of ETL. I remember that i've had fps drop with more than more 4 players in scene on terro spawn [cqb_sample] but i did not notice any drops if using stock et.exe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:34 pm 
Master
Master

Would releasing CQB's source code be more beneficial then trying to make stock ET perform tasks it was never intended to? I think so.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:35 pm 
Master
Master

New binaries/engine is tc only chance. Sharing source code with some engine developers is a must!! currently QIO and OWE engines have much better features than ET\ETL albeit they both still need work and cooperation from Coroner/or access to tc source code. Neither of these engines currently support ET ui but rocketui is easy enough. ET does not perform at all well on modern\new gpu and while ETL gives great fps its not with out its issues. I personally think ETL biggest issue is (althought ETL team do not see it as an issue) that it is 100% compatible with ET and hence all previous ET cheats\hacks on top of that, no anti cheat at all.

There is a couple of guys trying to get a little tc community going again at the moment but from what i understand they are having issues with hackers and other trolls like 'DAD' etc.. It would be good for all players if cheats etc could be rulled out so everyone can stop complaining and just play.

:?

I have atleast 100gb of unreleased/unfinished maps for tc\cqb - They are unreleased/unfinished because others kept asking whats the point, whos gonna play them?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:26 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Let me release my hold on reality for a moment: providing that Coroner gives his approval and/or support, is anyone aware of and would anyone be interesting in using Irrlicht to port and/or remake TC:E?

It's an open-source zlib-licenced engine that is both portable and scalable, with a decent set of features.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/?page_id=45

Including Quake 2-3 models and Quake 3 levels.

If it would be possible to gather and entice enough skilled people, it might be possible for a TC:E revival/spin-off without having to work with something as heavy and bloated as Unity or Unreal Engine, and possible reusing stuff from TC:E.

Or are there other, better ideas? QIO? Is that ioquake3? No idea what OWE is...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:15 pm 
Master
Master

QIO gets my vote.

- great .map and .bsp level support
- .md5 and .mda support with ragdoll
- physics engine
- graphics engine written from scratch
- normal/relief/parallax/specular mapping
- lightmap/deluxemap/real-time lighting
- MOHAA style UI engine
- already familiar for Q3/ET/TC modders and mappers
- common tools support - Blender, Radiant
+ more

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hey Cororner!

Maybe meanwhile a unlocked release so people can resume and proceed developing content for CQB and test it out for real(not on CQB_DIM)? No other stuff yet, just unlocked CQB. Then we can go on with making it better :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

ET:Legacy 2.75 fresh out from the oven.
https://www.etlegacy.com/download

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:28 am 
Expert
Expert

Holy Cow finally!
Many things fixed what is great, i noticed my fps has stable value unlike the previous version but i do not believe they still didnt fix the sound looping bug. Maybe in vanilla game it is unnoticeable but unfortunatelly in cqb224 it sounds terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:30 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Main menu loop is ok like in last version but glock sound is still choppy. Also I noticed that while loading map the brightness of the screen changes 2-3 times but is okay when map starts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yeah i noticed that brightness thing too, for me is ok cause in game it comes back to user settings.
The glock is high rate of fire pistol so that issue is most noticeable but genereally all sounds are overlaping each other and it makes me sad, i was pretty sure that new etl will fix this one :(
Still wondering why it occurrs with ETL, afaik it is the same sound code like it is done in 2.60b, but i might be wrong. Love the ogg support tho :)

Meantime i am messing up with sunflares gfx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOJ7fgKrsY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next